Admittance into KU PREP is competitive. U.S. citizens or legal residents who have received a bachelor's degree within the last three years are eligible to apply. Students who are accepted into the program must intend to apply to a PhD program the sciences and have a serious interest in a career in biomedical research.
PREP positions for 2018 have been filled and applications are currently closed. Please check back in January to apply for PREP 2019.
Apply to KU PREP
Program dates July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020.
- Completed online application.
Applicants should create a new account to apply. Please select Post-baccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP) on the Program Selection section page 4 of the online form. Answer all questions on page 3. There is no fee associated with the application. Upload documents (personal statement and copy of transcript) using the online system.
These supplemental questions (400 word limit) are included in the online application:
- Identify four PhD programs that you plan to apply. For each institution or program, describe the criteria that you used to make these choices.
- Select four University of Kansas faculty with whom you are interested in working with and a very brief description of why you have selected them. The list of departments that participate in PREP are listed on our website.
- Personal Statement
There is a 2-page limit for the personal statement and uploaded on the online application system. It should address the following questions:
- What are your career goals?
- Why are you interested in pursuing a PhD degree? Describe any undergraduate training such as research experience, leadership or outreach activities that are key preparation towards this goal.
- What do you feel are your strengths that make you a strong candidate for a PhD program or a post-baccalaureate program? Are there any weaknesses or deficiencies in your academic or research experience that can be addressed or strengthened with your participation in KU PREP that will make you a strong candidate for admission to PhD programs?
- Please include other information that you would like KU PREP to consider including significant challenges in meeting academic and career goals or a description of something that you have overcome in your life.
3. Two letters of recommendation
Your recommenders will need to submit your letters through a link provided by the online system.
4. Copy of your transcript
Official transcripts with security can sometimes be challenging to upload. Please make a copy of your transcript and upload a pdf file
Submit all inquiries to the PREP program coordinator:
1002D Haworth Hall
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS 66045-7534